Leeds Beckett University is looking forward to welcoming the ECREA Crisis Communication Section to the 6th International Crisis Communication Conference in 2019.
The conference will be Thursday 3 October- Saturday 5 October, 2019 in Leeds, United Kingdom.
This is our conference homepage. Be sure to come back for more information and deadline reminders.
Registration for the conference has opened. Early bird registration has closed and standard registration will continue. We accept credit card and bank transfers.
Registration for the Graduate Workshop is open. You will need to add the registration for the workshop in addition to the regular conference registration.
2019 Conference Theme: Innovations in the Field of Risk & Crisis Communication
UPDATE: 29 September — The final conference schedule is now posted.
We have received great submissions from 20 countries including: Australia, Belgium, Canada, China, Denmark, Finland, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, India, Indonesia, Italy, Mexico, the Netherlands, Norway, Portugal, Romania, Russia, Singapore, Sweden, the United Arab Emirates, the United Kingdom, and the United States.
This conference will feature academics and practitioners exploring innovations in risk and crisis communication from artificial intelligence to responding to terrorism and everything in between. In addition to traditional research and case study presentations, we have some special sessions.
- All conference attendees can choose between a hands on simulation experience and development workshop and a social media analytics workshop.
- Please register your interest for these when you register for the conference. If you have already registered and included both, please amend your registration to identify which one you prefer.
- Even if you don’t register for one, you can attend; however, you will only be able to observe and take part in the conversation, not actively participate.
- Special Practitioner Sessions
- On Thursday we will have two one-hour sessions featuring demonstrations and agency perspectives on risk and crisis communication.
- Throughout the conference schedule, we have practitioners presenting their experiences.
- Keynote sessions (see the conference schedule for more details)
- On Thursday evening, we have our formal conference reception along with our Keynote panel of speakers including Professor Stephen Croucher (Massey University, NZ), Mr. Daniel Monehin (fmr. Executive VP Mastercard Global, Dubai), Mr. Torsten Rössing (managing partner Ewald & Rössing GmbH & Co) and Dr. Keri Stephens (UT-Austin, USA). They will be reflecting on risk and crisis in their own experiences, research, and work with a discussion to follow.
- On Friday after lunch we will have a special session on whistleblowing. It will feature Peer Jacob Svenkerud, a whistleblower at Norsk Tipping in Norway and Professor Emeritus Larry Browning (UT-Austin) reflecting on the experience and what we can learn from it.
- A cultural event focusing on a ‘Taste of Yorkshire’ (cost is extra) on Friday night with a walking tour along with dinner and drinks celebrating the history and traditions in Yorkshire.
If you have any questions or feedback about the conference, please contact Dr. Audra Diers-Lawson via email at email@example.com or connect with us in our Facebook group — ‘ECREA Crisis Communication Section’. We have reminders and will post all information there as well.
Information About Our Conference Venue
All formal conference activities (inclusive of the graduate student workshop, all sessions, and the Thursday reception) will be located at The Studio conference venue in Leeds. Overlooking the city centre, the venue is centrally located near hotels, food/drink, and transport.
Leeds is an easy city to get to and with its compact city centre, is walkable from about anywhere in the city centre. There is also a good bus network in the city of Leeds. We would also recommend either Uber or Amber cabs for taxi — both have apps that you can download to your phones making taxi pick up easy. These are also the least expensive and most reliable taxi options.
We recommend flying into either Leeds Bradford Airport directly or Manchester Airport. These offer the most convenience to Leeds. Generally, we would recommend against flying into London.
More information is available on our conference hospitality page with hotel recommendations, things to do in Leeds, and recommendations for places to eat and drink. We will be adding more information over the summer and leading up to the conference.
Pre-Conference – Graduate Student Workshop
Pre-conference: Graduate Student Workshop — for graduate students, we will offer a workshop ahead of the conference, featuring feedback and panel discussion leadership from Professor Dr. Ralph Tench of Leeds Beckett University (UK), Professor Dr. Stephen Croucher of Massey University (NZ), and Dr. Keri Stephens of the University of Texas at Austin (US). The cost for the graduate workshop, is £50 and will take place on Wedneday 2 October. Click here for full details and submission information.
Other Conference Information
We anticipate a full conference schedule on Thursday and Friday with a half-day on Saturday. As such, we would suggest arrival in Leeds on Wednesday. Conference costs, inclusive of the Thursday reception, morning and afternoon snacks, teas, and coffees as well as a full hot buffet lunch on Thursday, Friday and Saturday:
- Student (MA or PhD) Rate – £150
- Full Rate from 1 August to 20 September – £220
- Late registration from 20 September-3 October – £350
- Taste of Yorkshire event – £45
- Thursday Evening with Global Leaders in Risk & Crisis – £15
- Conference day rate (non-presenters) – £75
For those arriving early enough on Wednesday, we will organise a no-host evening get together. More details to follow. If you are interested, please indicate that with your conference registration just so that proper reservations can be made.
The Weather in Leeds
Our weather forecast is for relatively mild temperatures (mid-50’sF/ 12-15C), Wednesday and Thursday are meant to be partly cloudy (which usually means some spotty rain) and Friday and Saturday are meant to be fairly rainy. So – be sure to bring your rain gear!